Thursday, October 8, 2026

Books on Thursday

I read a couple of ARCs this week (and I'm catching up on a few other, too.) It's an embarrassment of riches, with the added benefit that these two were pretty good. In somewhat related news, Goodreads has finally instituted half (and even quarter) stars! I've wished for this for a long time, and it's nice when something good happens (however small it might be).
 

In Luna, Phoenix, Queen, Julie Orringer takes a complicated web of characters, relationships, secrets, betrayals, and losses and tells the story through a chorus of different voices. What I found especially impressive is the way each POV reveals things about the other characters that they themselves don't or can't see. With every shift in perspective, my understanding of the people and their relationships changed a little, and Orringer uses that mechanism beautifully. These are complex, deeply human characters, and none of them can be reduced to a single motivation or judgment.

I won't repeat the plot details here, as the Goodreads description already gives you plenty to go on. What stayed with me was the exploration of trust, betrayal, truth, connection, obligation, and devotion, and the unsettling ways that love can coexist with all of them.

And then there is Luna. This astonishing, horribly injured dog becomes an unexpected throughline connecting so many of these lives and experiences. I loved the way Orringer allows Luna's story to echo and illuminate the larger story without ever feeling forced.

The writing is beautiful, the characterizations are exceptional, and the ending feels exactly right. Orringer has woven all of these voices and stories into something intricate, heartbreaking, and ultimately moving. I was completely absorbed by this exquisite book, and I'm fairly sure that it will be one of my favorite reads this year. Four and a half stars.

Thank you to NetGalley and Knopf for providing me with a copy of the book. It will be published on October 13, 2026. 
 
 

It's been three months since Margaret's husband, Derek, died. It has also been forty years since their eleven-year-old daughter, Jeannie, disappeared while delivering newspapers. In An Unlikely Visitor, Joanna Cannon introduces us to a woman who is struggling to imagine a future without the man she shared her life with, all while carrying the weight of a loss that never truly healed.

Everything changes when an unexpected visitor arrives at Margaret's home. Together, they decide to finally search for answers about what happened to Jeannie all those years ago. What follows is part mystery and part meditation on grief, but more than anything, it's a story about finding hope after unimaginable loss.

As Margaret retraces the past, she learns powerful lessons about life, love, forgiveness, friendship,healing, and herself. Cannon has a wonderful gift for creating deeply compassionate characters, and Margaret's quiet courage made her impossible not to root for. My heart cheered with hers and broke with hers as she slowly opened herself to new possibilities.

While the mystery itself kept me engaged, it was Margaret's emotional journey that made this novel so memorable. It's a gentle, moving story that reminds us that even after decades of heartbreak, it may not be too late for hope, healing, or a new beginning. It was four stars for me.

This unlikely, yet emotional story stayed with me long after I finished it. Thank you to NetGalley and Scribner for providing me with a copy of the book. It will be published on October 20, 2026.  
 
Now I'd love to know what you are reading!  

4 comments:

  1. These both seem like great reads -- I'll look for them when they're published! I'm also reading an ARC right now, Dani Shapiro's new memoir, and I've got another one lined up after that's done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really two very intriguing sounding books, Bonny! And your reviews have put them both on my TBR list! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just pre-ordered An Unlikely Visitor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both of these books seem right down my alley, Bonny. Thank you so much for your reviews. I had already placed An Unlikely Visitor on my TBR list, but I was not aware of the other. Most of what I am reading is usually in your rear view mirror. I am reading The Amateur, but I recently finished the first book in a new mystery series about a detective that has Asperger's syndrome titled The Dentist by Tim Sullivan. I found it delightfully original and will probably read the second book. I currently have an embarrassment of riches on my TBR list, a very good thing. Oh, and thank goodness Goodreads is going to allow us to rate books more accurately. That is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to comment! :-)