Hello, and welcome to our latest Read With Us spin-off!
During the last Zoom call that Kym, Carole, and I had to discuss our next books, Kym came up with yet another great idea. Off the Shelf is a place where we’ll talk about why a particular book has earned a spot on our personal library shelves.
We’ve decided to throw caution to the wind and not create a schedule for this one. Instead, you can look for an Off the Shelf post on random Mondays. There may be Mondays when all three of us post, Mondays when none of us post, and every possible combination in between. In other words, there are no rules (which seems very Read With Us)!
My library at home consists mainly of a three-shelf bookcase filled with books I’ve saved over the years. The top shelf has all the Harry Potter books, the middle shelf holds poetry and some of my special fiction, and the bottom shelf is mainly children’s books that I can’t bear to part with. The book I want to tell you about today is from the middle shelf, and it’s the one I thought of as soon as Kym mentioned her idea.
Early Candlelight Stories, published in 1922, belonged to my grandmother when she was a child. She kept it in the room where I stayed whenever I visited her. The book opens with a grandmother arriving to spend the winter with her grandchildren, Bobby, Alice, and Pink. As the children gather around her in the evenings, Grandma shares nostalgic stories about her own childhood, family life, childhood adventures, and small-town community, all accompanied by charming illustrations. All I have to do is pick it up, and I’m transported back to the warm feelings the book has always brought me.
I used to read several of the stories each night when I was staying with my grandmother. I don’t read it much anymore because the binding is falling apart and a few pages are coming loose. I’ve looked for replacement copies and have found some reprinted versions since the book is in the public domain, but they just aren’t the same.
So I’m content to keep my old, falling-apart book just as it is. It’s still in good enough shape to hold all the lovely memories I have. Its pages may be loose, but its place on my shelf is secure.






What a special book! I love that it's a story of a grandmother reading to her grandkids and it belonged to your grandmother -- very meta!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful memory Bonny!
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely book, Bonny! Books that hold memories are the best books, imo!
ReplyDeleteYou should buy another copy for reading only, so this copy stays exactly the way it is now
ReplyDeleteThanks! That could be a possibility.
DeleteWhat a treasure! I have a few books in similar condition that belonged to my grandmother and I can't part with them.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Debbie. I'm glad to hear there are others out there that love and appreciate old books.
DeleteThat's more than a book. What a treasure!
ReplyDeleteHow precious that is! Once upon a time I had several books like that. I can recall the stories and the illustrations but alas, the books didn't make the move when I got married and I'm sure my mother tossed them.
ReplyDeleteBooks possibly being thrown away makes me sad, but I guess we can't keep everything. (That's called hoarding!)
Delete