Monday, August 10, 2026

Read With Us Lounge: 8/10/26

 

Lately, I've noticed something about my reading.

When I finish a book, I don't necessarily want to be devastated. I don't need shocking plot twists, morally bankrupt characters, or another reminder that people can be greedy, corrupt, and dishonest. I can get all of that and more evil by reading the news for about thirty seconds.

Instead, I've found myself gravitating toward books that leave me feeling ... better. Not because they're saccharine or unrealistic, but because they remind me that kindness still exists. That decency matters. That ordinary people can choose compassion and doing the right thing over selfishness.

I'm talking about books with good and honorable characters. Not perfect characters. Those are usually boring. I mean people who make mistakes, struggle, doubt themselves, and sometimes fail, but who keep trying to do the right thing anyway. The kind of characters who make you think, I wish this person lived next door and I wish I knew them in real life.

There's something deeply comforting and even restorative about spending a few hundred pages with people who treat one another with generosity, loyalty, humor, or quiet courage. Their worlds may still contain grief, disappointment, or hardship, but the stories never leave me feeling cynical. Instead, they remind me that goodness hasn't disappeared.

Maybe that's why many of us return again and again to authors like Anne Tyler, James Herriot, or Fredrik Backman. Their books don't pretend life is easy. They simply insist that even difficult lives can be filled with grace, forgiveness, friendship, and small acts of kindness. These stories don't ignore reality; they balance it.

Some books that have given me this feeling include The Shell Seekers, All Creatures Great and Small, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, and A Man Called Ove. None of them pretend life is perfect. They all contain loss, disappointment, and hardship. But they also remind me that integrity, kindness, and generosity are still worth celebrating, and sometimes that's exactly the kind of story I need.

Sometimes I think we underestimate the value of hope in literature. We praise books that challenge us or break our hearts, and they certainly have their place. But I also think there's real literary merit in a novel that quietly restores your faith in people. In a world that often feels loud, angry, and exhausting, reading can become more than entertainment. It can be a way of reminding ourselves of the kind of people we want to be and the kind of world we'd like to help create.

So my question this week is a simple one:

What book(s) left you happier than when you started?

Not because everything worked out perfectly. Not because it wrapped everything up with a neat little bow. But because spending time with those characters made you feel just a little more hopeful about humanity. I'd love to add a few more of those books to my ever-growing TBR pile.

====== 

Thank you for your participation in the RWU Lounge. We we weren't exactly sure if our "anti-book bingo" idea would work but you have helped to make it a rousing success with your thoughtful comments and discussion, no matter what the topic was. As a small token of our appreciation, we'd love to send you a thank-you gift. If you're comfortable sharing your mailing address, please send it to me via email (highlyreasonableATgmailDOTcom) and we'll get your parting gift on its way in a bit. Thanks again; we really appreciate your commitment to our "No Rules. Just Fun!" philosophy.

10 comments:

  1. Voicing a hearty agreement here! I think of the Bruno, Chief of Police books that way as well. I also think this "lounge" has been so nice. Yay for anti-book bingo!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great topic, Bonny! Like you, I've been seeking out books that make me feel good these days. I'm pretty sure that's why I read Ann Patchett's Whistler TWICE in a row . . . because I just felt good while reading it. And why I just re-read The Dutch House (another Ann Patchett favorite of mine) . . . and why I may just continue that streak by reading Tom Lake again next! (Because why not?)

    Another book I often recommend to friends - mostly because it's just a general feel-good book with excellent characters - is Still Life by Sarah Winman. Other feel-good books include Fresh Water for Flowers by Valérie Perrin and The Correspondent by Virginia Evans and anything, really, by Rosamunde Pilcher. (In fact, my sister and I just decided to read her book September together in . . . September.) Thanks for this topic, Bonny. I look forward to stopping back later to see what everyone else suggests. (Because I continue to need - and seek out - books that make me feel even a tiny bit better about the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you completely -- I don't mind reading about sad things happening to people, but I like to end my time with them feeling hopeful that that the characters I've come to care about are going to be okay. I think this is why I always seem to enjoy stories that involve found family. There are so many books about people whose families reject or hurt them (which is a reality for so many real people), so it helps heal my heart a lot when those people find others who love them and support them even though they're not related by blood. I think Kym's list is excellent. I wish I could think of more titles, but a couple that come to mind are How to Read a Book and A Witch's Guide to Magical Innkeeping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fantastic topic, Bonny! Yes, yes! I would add Artie Dam to this list! (and I am nodding along with Vera's suggestion of dear Bruno! and Kym's thoughts on Patchett's books!) I know Theo of Golden (which I loved) was not loved by everyone, but I would absolutely add Theo! A story that shows that even if you were less than nice in your life, it is never too late to turn that around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've captured my feelings exactly with this post, Bonny! Thank you.
    Books that fit this category from me are: A Good Animal by Sarah Maurer, Whistler, Seascraper by Benjamin Wood, Demon Copperhead, and The Calamity Club.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't think of one right off the top of my head, but I was very happy that a few books in my TBR pile are in the comments. Looks like I have an August and September of good reading.

    https://1justd2me.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. A most excellent topic, Bonny. I have been going through my reading lists trying to find books that I want to re-read. Many of these are books I have not read in ages, so I think my reactions to them may have changed quite a bit. I agree with all you have said, and I would add that I enjoy a book with characters who show a high degree of resilience in the shadow of tragedy. I feel a bit stronger and hopeful after I read them. So, here's my hurried list on a Monday morning. :) The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, Cloud Cuckoo Land, Ten Thousand Splendid Suns, I Know This Much is True, A Prayer for Owen Meany, Fragile Beasts, These Precious Days, The Pied Piper, An Unfinished Life, A Gentleman in Moscow, Any Bitter Thing, Kent Haruf's terrific Plainsong series, The Dog Stars, Prodigal Summer, Traveling Light. I have a much longer list that I had prepared for myself. It's almost like I studied for this test! Happy Monday in the Lounge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lately, as for others, Whistler and The Correspondent have been this book for me. It's why I love Anne Tyler and Ann Patchett I think, as well as the Elizabeth Strout. Characters you like and can root for, without being too saccharine. In tough times, I also enjoy a good mystery or thriller, if the writing isn't too bad. I'm listening to Richard Osman's We Solve Murders right now. It's a complete escape from real life, but satisfying. Sometimes it's nice to get the ends tied up (mostly).

    ReplyDelete
  9. In addition to several books already mentioned, I would add This Is Happiness by Niall Williams and A Gentleman In Moscow by Amor Towles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your excellent recommendations, Debbie! I'm glad to have a place I can consult for hopeful reading material for quite a while.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to comment! :-)