Potholders

▼

Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Unraveled Wednesday: 9/30/26

I’m happy to join Kat and the Unravelers today with my finished stack of dishtowels for Ryan's Christmas gift.

I usually get my Wednesday posts ready on Tuesday, but I stayed up late last night trying to finish and still had several rows of seed stitch to go on this last towel. I did that this morning, so I'm a little later with this post, but I didn't want to subject you to yet another week with an almost finished dish towel. 

I did cast on another dishtowel; this one will be a Christmas gift for Jess. But more importantly, I am back to working on Justin's hat. I hope to be back here next week with the final badger in progress (and maybe even completed if I'm lucky).

Several people have asked how I can stand to knit the same thing over and over (Hitchhikers, dishtowels, and who knows what will be next). I may be a boring knitter but I truly get a lot of pleasure out of repeating these patterns and the yarns I've used. These dishtowels started as an idea for Christmas gifts, but along the way I realized that they are helping me to stay grounded in this horror show we live in. Apparently knitting the same things over and over and over again is how I manage and I'm glad to have found that out. Virginia Woolf said "Knitting is the saving of life," and I think that may be true. 

What are you making this final Wednesday in September? 

Ravelry links:

Cilantro Tea Towel  

Nested Squares Kitchen Towel 

Chili Pepper Kitchen Towel 

 

7 comments:

  1. Yes! That is exactly why I like knitting the same patterns again and again! One... I know they work! Two... there is something so comforting about revisiting a knitting pattern. It is like spending time with a good friend... a delight for all the senses! Your stack of kitchen towels is delightful (and the perfect thing to help overcome the horrors of the news)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very satisfying stack of towels. I love that they were a consolation to knit, and now they'll be useful and attractive in Ryan's kitchen for years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely stack of towels that is! I fully understand the comfort that comes from knitting the same thing over and over. My only question of how you can do it with the dishtowels is because cotton yarn is so hard on my hands!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those towels are just so pretty. And, knowing how Ryan likes to cook, a good number of towels will be a welcome gift. Well done you! I did work on Iris' 2nd sock today while she napped, but she woke up crying (so unusual) after an hour and then I messed up! I will try to clean up the mess tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done!
    I also like familiar patterns so I tend to knit the same things over and over again. That said, I'm going out of my comfort zone starting tomorrow. I joined a KAL that just might push me over the edge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will probably be knitting a few more dish towels for gifts, and I'm looking forward to seeing your KAL. I hope it doesn't sen you over the edge!

      Delete
  6. The dish towels are such a thoughtful gift. They are terrific. I see nothing wrong with knitting the same thing over and over. Knitting is an art and/or craft and there are NO RULES. I have knit many triangular shawls and I don't plan to stop anytime soon. They are my comfort knitting. And we need all the comfort we can find these days.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to comment! :-)