Potholders

Thursday, July 30, 2026

Books on Thursday

I read several ARCs this week but will review them closer to their publication date. I did read one other book after hearing about Christopher Nolan's Odyssey almost everywhere I turned.  

I'm not nearly as familiar with The Odyssey as I probably should be, but even with only a basic knowledge of the original, I'm fairly certain I appreciated Margaret Atwood's retelling more than I would Homer's epic.

By allowing Penelope and the twelve hanged maids to tell their own stories, Atwood shifts the focus away from the celebrated hero and toward those who were expected to wait patiently while history glorified someone else's adventures. I couldn't help thinking that if I had been in Penelope's place, Odysseus and I would have had some very serious conversations when he finally deigned to return home after twenty years of wandering, monster-slaying, and "spending time" with various goddesses.

What I admire most about Atwood is her ability to subvert familiar narratives without dismissing them. Her deep knowledge of and respect for the original myth is evident throughout, even as she playfully pokes holes in its assumptions. The novel is witty, clever, and often surprisingly funny, but beneath the humor is a sharp examination of whose voices are preserved, whose are ignored, and how gender and class shape the stories that survive.

The Penelopiad is brief but thought-provoking. It made me want to revisit The Odyssey with fresh eyes, and that's probably one of the highest compliments a retelling can earn. I just wish I was better at pronouncing Margaret Atwood's title. 

Now I'd love to know what you're reading! 

 

3 comments:

  1. How did I not know about this book? I remember reading The Odyssey in 10th grade lit class. Let me tell you... the struggle was real to finish it! I remember talking with my teacher (whose face I can see clearly but for the life of me I cannot remember her name) about how much I was struggling with this book... and like the penultimate sophomoric student, wanted to know how this book would improve my life. (The Drama Was Real lol) I can still hear her say... "you will read it because it is important literature and if you don't read it you won't be passing this class!" I did read it, and while I thought the storytelling nature of the Odyssey was something... I did not get all the monsters, and the gods, and all that...and I wanted to know Penelope's story!! Margaret Atwood, where were you when I was in 10th grade?? (I am now off to read this, thank you Hoopla!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the Iliad and the Odyssey in high school. Yes, I am so old that when I went to high school it was taught in senior English. I also had to read Beowulf - oof! I have always loved to read, but senior English almost did permanent damage, and grad school almost finished it off. I did not enjoy reading this, and I am fairly certain that I will never try to read it again. However, I will seek out this version of Penelope's story for sure! Thanks, Bonny, for the recommendation. I am reading an ARC of Under the Falls by Richard Russo. The jury of one is still out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Becky (and others) I had to read Beowulf, The Odyssey and The Iliad in high school. And like many, I did not enjoy! Not sure even Atwood's book appeals to me. Interestingly, I was reading an article in The Wall Street Journal about how the movie the Odyssey is successful in getting folks to read the book...unlike English class! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to comment! :-)